Tutorials

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Copp Quilts and Smithsonian



 I have been super busy with two workshops and travel.  Tom and I just got back from Washington D.C. where I had the honor to do a back scenes quilt tour at the Smithsonian American History Museum.  They have 300+ quilts in their collection and only a few are shown at one time.  We entered a secure floor and then a very secure room to see where the quilts are cared for and stored.  The most thrilling part for me:  my family had donated quilts to the Smithsonian in the 19th century.  These quilts, linens, household goods and clothing were some of Smithsons original collection.  When I told the guides I was a Copp and a descendent they were super excited and even got out another Copp quilt to show me that I didn't know existed. 
This pieced quilt I am looking at was made of home goods and has many small pieces put together to make the larger squares.  I have seen pictures and the reproduction fabric line but the colors on the quilt itself are so much better.  

Close up view

With volunteer Mary

Copp Quilt

Copp Quilt



Page with quilt showing details
It was the thrill of my visit to see these quilts.  I will share more of the collection in the next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment